December 15, 2010

This is your brain... This is your brain on progesterone...

Baby brain. Something I laughed off before I got pregnant. "That'll never happen to me. I know my own mind and no baby growing inside of me is going to change that!" I so smugly told myself. WRONG!!! Pregnancy not only makes you ditzy, it also makes you crazy. For example, I used to love sunny warm days. The beach was my cuppa tea. Give me hot weather and sunshine and I was a happy girl. Not so much anymore, now, my favorite type of day is gloomy and overcast with temperatures hovering near 30 and not reaching above 32. What has happened to me? I dream about living somewhere cold and snowy and gloomy. Colorado wouldn't even do in my current state. 315 days of sunshine per year? No thank you! I guess maybe Washington state? Sounds wonderful to me. No, I'm not suffering from depression, or Twilight fever -- it's baby brain. The beach sounds like the last place I would want to visit right now and the Pacific northwest about the best! I want to snuggle up in front of a roaring fire and read and snooze all day long. I'd drink hot chocolate and hot apple cider and snuggle with my dogs. Chris too, but mainly my dogs. If I took a crack at analyzing this new found interest of mine, I would say it is some latent desire for solitude. Since July 16th I've not had a moment alone. Evie is with me all the time. Or maybe it's fear of losing some of my solitude when Evie comes that is making me crave it now. Who knows, I am sure a psychologist would have a blast analyzing all this. For now, I am just enjoying today. There is a high of 40F and it is over cast and gray outside. I am a happy girl. Now if the sun would just stay away on Saturday so I could snuggle on the couch all day (not gonna happen anyway -- I have to clean the house, wrap presents and bake goodies for Chris' office team) life would just about be perfect. I'd probably be reading The Bell Jar just to top things off!

Where I want to be:



Other than her Mommy's crazy brain -- Evie has reached her 26th gestatational week! Yay! This week chances of survival out the womb jump to somewhere between 60%-80% and probabilty of long term health and cognitive problems begin decreasing dramatically! Generally babies that make it into their 26th week survive to live in the outside world! She needs to stay in there at least 11 more weeks to be considered full term! I have no fears that she will come early at all!

She should be weighing in at around 2 pounds and measuring the length of an english cucumber!


Gosh that seems so long for my little baby! I just can't believe she will be over five pounds by the time she is born! I can't wait until December 30th when they do my next diagnostic ultrasound to find out how much she weighs and how long she is! I am just dying to make sure that she is a good size!

In the development arena her little eyes are beginning to open. Her irises don't have a color yet and won't for a little longer but they are starting to open and close and as the nerves between retina and brain develop she will be able to sense bright light. To test this you shine a bright flash light at your belly and if she starts kicking that is a good indicator that she is able to sense light! I think we will try this sometime this week! Her auditory nerves are also developing more and more this week. She is also inhaling and exhaling small amounts of amniotic fluid to practice for her first breath of air outside the womb. I can't wait to see Evie's little eyes! I did some googling and basically with two blue eyed parents with only one brown eyed parent between the two of them Evie has a 99% chance of having blue eyes and a 1% chance of having green eyes.


So basically our little Evie Bug is gonna be a little blue eyed girl! That is exciting! She also will have the chance of having red(ish) hair. Apparently red hair is the dominant color and I do know that red (ish) hair runs in my dad's family. Unless you are my cousin Austin and then you are just a sweet little carrot top! :) And, despite all the trouble that it has given me, I hope she has beautiful curls! I know she will be whatever and however God intends, but gosh she is going to be the cutest little thing!!! 

How far along?  26 Weeks 0Days

Total weight gain/loss: 3 pounds total gain

Maternity clothes?: All maternity except for some sweat pants and sleep pants

Sleep: So-So my hips are starting to hurt really bad

Best moment this week: Evie kicking so hard that even Chris said: HOLY CRAP THAT WAS HARD!

Worst moment this week: Having the stomach flu. Yuck.

Movement:  All the time! You can see the bumps and ripples now!

Food cravings: Avocado, green beans, spinach, salad and apples. Oh and regular Coke.

Gender: Girl!

Names picked?: Evelyn Grace, “Evie”

Labor Signs: None yet!

Belly Button in or out? Still in, hoping it will stay that way.

What I miss: My waistline and a glass of wine with dinner.

What I am looking forward to: getting Evie’s nursery set up in January!

Milestones:  Evie Bug’s eyes are beginning to develop!