January 17, 2011

30 Weeks!

Well... Evie had quite the exciting time hitting the 30 week mark. Early in the morning on January 12 (around 2am) I started having what I thought were braxton hicks contractions. They were very small and very irregular. I did not bother counting them because I just figured I was tired and deydrated and they would go away after I slept.

I was wrong. They continued throughout the night and morning and continued to become a little more regular and stronger. Again, I did not pay attention. With some persuasion I decided call my doctor. The doctor's nurse decided to bring me in to check it out. Oops. In under an hour I had six big contractions and several smaller ones. I did not realize the small ones were actually contractions. I thought they were the baby stretching. I also thought the big ones were smaller ones sometimes. I'm really bad at counting contractions.

After consulting with my doctor the nurse practioner decided to send me to Methodist Labor and Delivery (as a side note -- this is where we had already decided to have Evie after hearing about the wonderful experience our friends Stephen and Libba had with their son, Gus. We could not be more pleased with our decision; the doctors and nurses are exemplary and the rooms are wodnerful. I can't think of a better place to have Evie). Dr. Martin and Deborah decided to also run another test on me, a fetal fibronectin test. This tests for an enzyme that if present indicates high risk for labor AND delivery in the next two weeks. I was sent off to the hospital with the test in hand for the lab at Methodist to run.

Upon arrival I was hooked up to a fetal monitor and a contraction monitor, blood pressure monitor, a pulse ox and a bag of fluids. They ran the bag of fluids wide open for about 500 mls then hooked it up at 150 ml/hr. Theoretically the fluids should have stopped the contractions. Unfortunately they DID NOT. At one point the contractions were coming on very strong, lasting a long time and very close together (less than 2 minutes apart). At this point the doctor on call at my OB's office decided to give me two shots of terbutaline. The first was given and the second about 20 minutes later. This drug is actually an asthma drug that is not approved by the FDA for use in stopping contractions, BUT becaue it is universally used, it is the standard of care (http://www.gynob.com/qqptl.htm). Whatever, it is used for most is not important though because it worked. It worked really well and really fast; after five minutes I felt my muscles relax and Evie calmed right down. I, however, did not calm down. That terbutaline is like cracked out methamphetamines. I was shaking and jittery and apparently became quite the chatty cathy (according to Chris and my mom). I did not like it and hope to never have it again, but I'd do it again to keep Evie in the belly for as long as possible.

After the shots worked and the contractions stopped and the fetal fibronectin test came back negative, Dr. Cole decided to monitor me for about 45 more minutes and then we were released. Upon release we made a beeline straight to mellow mushroom because I was STARVING. I really understand the rational behind not eating but I would've KILLED for something (anything) to eat by the time we left. I have no decided that a covert box of granola bars will be snuck in my bag for the actual labor and delivery. Muhahahaha!

So that has been Evie's big adventure this past week!

We did learn one really important thing though: Evie responds textbook perfect to contractions meaning she should be strong enough to weather labor and delivery at this point!

In other news with Evie she continues to pack on the ounces and should weigh in around 3 lbs at this point and that number could more than double by the time she is born. I'd be fine with doubling -- but please let's not triple! :)

Evie should be the size of head of cabbage by now!

And she is starting to get a little scrunched in there! :)

30 weeks pregnant and 10 weeks to go!!!