August 15, 2012

How to Be a Super Blogger

In the grand scheme of things my little slice of the interwebz is pretty darn small. I still remember when I hit twenty followers, then fifty, then 100 and I was amazed that people actually came here day after day to read my words. I still can't believe I have 415 followers now and that these people still come here day after day. I appreciate all of you, right down to my mom who was my very first follower.

 
I've noticed lately that some bloggers, though, it's like they don't want to connect with their readers. I've been a religious reader of one blog in particular. I comment all the time because I enjoy her content. I feel like I know her and her family. I share and respond on Facebook. I tweet and re-tweet her posts. And I realized last night that I've never once heard from her.

Now I am not talking about doing the same for me. Just because I enjoy her blog doesn't mean that she will enjoy mine. But seriously, never a reply to a comment, never a reply on facebook, never a "Hey thanks for tweeting or re-tweeting my post!". Not once in the months I've been a reader of hers has she ever responded to me in any way.


I think that is a mistake. I think it's borderline rude.

I'm not saying I am perfect, but I try. If you tweet my content I am going to make an effort to say thanks 90% of the time. If you comment on my post, I will reply to you 90% of the time. The same goes for email and Facebook. I figure if you took the time out of your day to comment on something I shared it's just the right thing to do. Plus, it helps foster a community, and the community is one of the best parts about blogging.

 
I get that a lot of these supper bloggers get like 60,000 pageviews in a month, that they have tons to keep up with and I don't expect a response 90% of the time, but the other 10%? It'd be nice. Even a group tweet or facebook comment is at least an acknowledgment that I went out of my way to share your words with my followers whose opinions I value.

 
Maybe it doesn't matter, maybe I'm being silly, but to never take the time to respond to your readers tells me that they don't really matter, or at least that is the way it seems. Please if I ever start doing this, someone let me know.

 
What do y'all think?

Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs
Photobucket